Anxiety is normal sometimes. You may feel anxious about pitching a business idea or be bothered about your level of sales, a relationship, among other things.
Anxiety becomes a problem and a medical disorder when an individual begins to experience bouts of anxiety too often, for longer periods of time and when the anxiety is about things that you shouldn’t normally be anxious about.
Anxiety alters the emotions, thoughts, and behavior of patients. Some of the symptoms of anxiety include constant worrying, restlessness, increased irritability, sleep issues, and difficulty in concentrating.
There are conventional medications recommended for people with an anxiety disorder. But they have their limitations. Let’s take a look at some of the natural alternatives that can be considered as a cure for anxiety or that may help cope with feelings of anxiety.
1. Deep breathing and meditation
Another consequence of anxiety in its patients is increased breathing rate. Breathing too fast can lead to a panic attack, fast heart rate, or lightheadedness. If you notice an increase in your breathing pattern, take out time to practice breathing slowly, deliberately.
Ensure to take even, slow, and deep breaths. This can help restore the normal breathing rate, and reduce the symptoms of anxiety. Yet another consequence of anxiety is lack of concentration.
The goal of meditation is to replace disturbing thoughts with a sense of calm and concentration on the present moment. You should set about 30 minutes daily to meditate. This will alleviate the symptom, and can also act as an antidepressant.
2. Proper Diet
Did you know that watching what you eat can help in eliminating anxiety? Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can treat or reduce anxiety symptoms with your diet;
- Be sure to take protein in the morning: food that contains protein helps you feel full for a longer period- your blood sugar will be kept steady so you can have more strength as you start your day.
- Take carbohydrates: the secretion of serotonin, in the brain, is increased by carbohydrates. This chemical helps to create a calming effect on the body. Eat more food with complex carbohydrates and not simple carbohydrates. Whole-grain cereal and bread are good examples of foods you can eat.
- Ensure that you take sufficient water. A little sensation of dehydration can affect your mood, so ensure you drink water as often as possible.
- Reduce or end your intake of alcohol: the calming effect after alcohol cannot be overlooked, however, as it is processed into the body, it can make you nervous. Alcohol can have a long-term consequence of affecting your sleep.
- Also, reduce your caffeine intake: stay away from caffeinated beverages. It can also have the same long-term effect on you as alcohol will do.
- Give attention to food additives: some food additives cause different physiological and psychological reactions in people. This can cause a shift in mood leading to depression, anxiety, and irritability.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet: A balanced diet can supply a lot of necessary nutrients to the body in a single meal. Healthy food is essential to keeping mental and physical health. Consume more vegetables and fruits, be careful not to abuse it.
Aerobic exercise especially has proven to be an effective treatment to overcome depression and anxiety. Exercises like dance, brisk wall, or bike ride are good treatments for the symptoms of anxiety.
How does exercise ease anxiety?
- The movement of the body reduces muscle tension- reduces the body’s contribution to feeling anxious.
- Exercises get your attention away from the very thing that is bothering you. You will be able to focus on something else for the time being.
- The frontal regions of the brain which is responsible for executive functions can be activated through exercises. The activation of this region of the brain help to control the amygdala, the body’s reacting system to imagined and real threats.
- Regular exercise builds up resources that reinforce resilience against negative emotions.
Cannabis or marijuana has been long recommended as a possible natural solution for anxiety and lots of other conditions. While a lot of people use cannabis to cope with their anxiety issues, a lot of them don’t understand how cannabis can influence it.
Although unproven, there are concerns that excessive consumption of marijuana can cause psychological dependence and other side effects. However, the medical benefits cannot be overlooked.
Thankfully, several US states have now legalized the use of cannabis especially for medical use and also for recreational use in some places.
Science has proven that smoking cannabis can reduce the level of depression experienced by an individual. You feel down, weak, and fear when you are anxious or depressed, but tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) contained in cannabis can potentially change your mood and make you feel less anxious.
However, bear in mind that using cannabis for the treatment of anxiety and other conditions should be done after due consultation with a physician. Like every other drug, you should avoid self-medication as this may cause more damage.
Chances are that you, or someone you know, is dealing with anxiety. It is a negative feeling that should be taken care of so that it won’t cause a permanent effect on an individual.
The natural solutions suggested above will help to combat anxiety at any level and can be used in combination with your conventional medication or alone.
Take time to read through once again, and choose the treatment you feel appropriate for you. Speak to your physician for more information and recommendations.